Friday, July 8, 2011

5th Speech, Interpretive Reading Manual

Yesterday, I presented my 5th speech out of the Interpretive Reading manual, the Oratorical Speech, titled "The American's Who Risked Everything".  This was a historical rundown about the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  The speech I used was that made by Rush Limbaugh back at the 2008 GOP caucus.  Of course, when he made it, it lasted the better part of an hour, what with applause and so forth.  I figured from the transcript of the speech that as written, it would be around 25 minutes for me (minimum).  Since this project was for a 10 - 12 minute speech, I was forced to trim it down.  I did so, and even then needed to drop a paragraph near the end to bring it in at 12:20.  No loss, since this paragraph didn't really add much to the thrust of the speech.

My big problem as a speaker remains the fact that I prefer working from notes.  I know I can do it without, but I'm generally to lazy to do so.  As I begin to present speeches that count toward my 2nd DTM, I fully intend to get away from notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment